Sunday 13 March 2022

Listen to him

Second Sunday of Lent Year C - 13th March 2022


Gospel Luke 9: 28–36


Jesus took with him Peter and John and James and went up a mountain to pray. As he prayed, the aspect of his face was changed and his clothing became brilliant as lightening. Suddenly there were two men there talking to him; they were Moses and Elijah appearing in glory, and they were speaking of his passing which he was to accomplish in Jerusalem.

Peter and his companions were heavy with sleep, but they kept awake and saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As these were leaving him, Peter said to Jesus. ‘Master, it is wonderful for us to be here; so let us make three tents, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.’ He did not know what he was saying. As he spoke, a cloud came and covered them with shadow; and when they went into the cloud the disciples were afraid. And a voice came from the cloud saying, ‘This is my Son, the Chosen One. Listen to him.’ And after the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone. The disciples kept silence and, at that time, told no one what they had seen.



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Having taken time to bring myself into the presence of the Lord, I slowly read through the Gospel.

Jesus goes with his companions to a place of wilderness. It may help my prayer to imagine a familiar mountain or wild place where I have been, or where I have felt close to the presence of the Lord.

I envisage the Gospel scene unfolding in that place, imagining that I am one of the companions that Jesus takes with him to pray.

I stay for a while, simply imagining being in the presence of our loving Jesus, sitting in stillness and silence.

Why has he invited me to be with him in this time of prayer?

What does Jesus want me to hear and see?

I Imagine the rest of the Gospel scene. What is my reaction to seeing the vision of Jesus suddenly transformed in the presence of Moses and Elijah?

I hear the voice of God inviting me to listen to his Son. in silence I listen.

Then, when I feel ready, together with Jesus I pray:

Our Father ...



No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...