Sunday 23 January 2022

The spirit of the Lord has been given to me

 Third Sunday in Ordinary Time (Sunday of the Word of God) Year C - 23rd January 2022


Gospel Luke 1: 1–4; 4: 14–21 (part)

Jesus, with the power of the Spirit in him, returned to Galilee; and his reputation spread throughout the countryside. He taught in their synagogues and everyone praised him.

He came to Nazara, where he had been brought up, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day as he usually did. He stood up to read, and they handed him the scroll of the prophet Isaiah. Unrolling the scroll he found the place where it is written:

The spirit of the Lord has been given to me, for he has anointed me. He has sent me to bring the good news to the poor, to proclaim liberty to captives and to the blind new sight, to set the downtrodden free, to proclaim the Lord’s year of favour.

Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the assistant and sat down. And all eyes in the synagogue were fixed on him. Then he began to speak to them, ‘This text is being fulfilled today even as you listen.’

https://www.freebibleimages.org/photos/jesus-nazareth/


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Having first allowed myself space to slow down and settle, I ask for the grace to have new light shed on this familiar Gospel passage.

I read the words slowly. Perhaps I imagine being a member of the congregation in the synagogue at Nazara.

What would it be like to hear this young man, who has returned to his home community, speak and teach with such con dence and wisdom?

How do I imagine the elders respond to him?

How do I respond to hearing him?

What is it about Jesus that fulfils the words of the Prophet?

If a young person came into my faith community today and behaved in the same way, how would we welcome them?

Do I and my faith community embody these values of the Good News?

With honesty, I share my thoughts and feelings with Jesus and ask for whatever I need to remain a faithful follower of his Way.

I finish my prayer by making a prayerful sign of the cross.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...