Saturday 11 December 2021

Someone is coming...

 Third Sunday of Advent Year C - 12th December 2021


Gospel: Luke 3: 10–18


When all the people asked John, ‘What must we do, then?’ he answered, ‘If anyone has two tunics, they must share with the one who has none, and the one with something to eat must do the same.’ There were tax collectors too who came for baptism, and these said to him, ‘Master, what must we do?’ He said to them, ‘Exact no more than your rate.’ Some soldiers asked him in their turn, ‘What about us? What must we do?’ He said to them, ‘No intimidation! No extortion! Be content with your pay!’

A feeling of expectancy had grown among the people, who were beginning to think that John might be the Christ, so John declared before them all, ‘I baptise you with water, but someone is coming, someone who is more powerful than I am, and I am not fit to undo the strap of his sandals; he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in his hand to clear his threshing-floor and to gather the wheat into his barn; but the chaff he will burn in a fire that will never go out.’ As well as this, there were many other things he said to exhort the people and to announce the Good News to them.

Threshing. Photo from jewelsofjudaism.com


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Coming to my prayer, I do not rush; taking time, I allow myself to become still in body and mind in the presence of God. I ask the Holy Spirit to help me to pray.

In last week’s Gospel, we heard that John came as ‘A voice crying in the wilderness: Prepare a way for the Lord’. Remembering this, I read the Gospel passage, perhaps several  mes, noting anything that appears to stand out for me.

The different people ask John, ‘What must I do?’ Perhaps I ask the Lord to show me what I am called to be or do to prepare a way for God in my life, in my family, in my community?

I may like to consider the sacramental gifts that have made me one with Christ by water and the fire of the Holy Spirit. What does this mean for me? I share my thoughts and feelings with the Lord.

Perhaps I ask for light to see what God finds in me that is both wheat and chaff. I talk with the Lord about what I see, remembering always to look less at myself and more to the love of God whose coming to me is always ‘Good News’.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...