Sunday 3 October 2021

To such as these the kingdom of God belongs

 Twenty-Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B - 3rd October 2021


Gospel Mark 10: 2–16

Some Pharisees approached Jesus and asked, ‘Is it against the Law for a man to divorce his wife?’ They were testing him. He answered them, ‘What did Moses command you?’ ‘Moses allowed us,’ they said, ‘to draw up a writ of dismissal and so to divorce.’ Then Jesus said to them, ‘It was because you were so unteachable that he wrote this commandment for you. But from the beginning of creation God made them male and female. This is why a man must leave father and mother and the two become one body. They are no longer two, therefore, but one body. So what God has united, no one must divide.’ [...]

People were bringing little children to him, for him to touch them. The disciples turned them away, but when Jesus saw this he was indignant and said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. I tell you solemnly, anyone who does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.’ Then he put his arms around them, laid his hands on them and gave them his blessing.


"To such as these..."


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Once I feel settled to pray, I slowly read the Gospel text. I recall the truth at the heart of this Sunday’s readings: that we were created in love, for love. Jesus came among us not to condemn, but to heal and transform our suffering.

I use my imagination to explore the contrast in the interactions between the adults and the children in this Gospel. I ponder how Jesus deals with each of them. What does this teach me?

Perhaps I picture myself as one of the children coming to Jesus.

What is it about him that makes me want to be with him? Would I feel the same way about approaching one of the Pharisees or elders?

As I imagine being held within the accepting and comforting arms of Jesus, I place before him all my needs, desires and questions.

I sit, I remain, I listen, and when I am ready I finish my prayer with my own words of thanks.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...