Sunday 28 August 2022

They watched him closely

 Twenty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C - 28th August 2022


Gospel Luke 10: 1, 7–14

On a Sabbath day Jesus had gone for a meal to the house of one of the leading Pharisees; and they watched him closely. He then told the guests a parable, because he had noticed how they picked the places of honour. He said this, ‘When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take your seat in the place of honour. A more distinguished person than you may have been invited, and the person who invited you both may come and say, “Give up your place to this person.” And then, to your embarrassment, you would have to go and take the lowest place. No; when you are a guest, make your way to the lowest place and sit there, so that, when your host comes, they may say, “My friend, move up higher.” In that way, everyone with you at table will see you honoured. For everyone who exalts themself will be humbled, and the one who humbles themself will be exalted.’

Then he said to his host, ‘When you give a lunch or dinner, do not ask your friends, brothers, relations or rich neighbours, for fear they repay your courtesy by inviting you in return. No; when you have a party, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind; that they cannot pay you back means that you are fortunate, because repayment will be made to you when the virtuous rise again.’


Image by Karolina Grabowska from Pixabay 


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Settling into stillness, I set aside anything that may be troubling me, entrusting it into God’s safe hands for now.

I read the Gospel slowly and carefully, pausing wherever I am drawn. Perhaps I picture Jesus seated at the table. I notice what’s going on, just as the Pharisees are watching Jesus. The guests, full of their own self- importance, are jostling for the places of honour.

What feelings or memories does this stir within me?

Have there been times when I’ve felt embarrassed or humiliated?

Have there been times when I’ve felt the need to gain the approval of others ... or am I able to be my authentic self, placing my trust in God?

I think with gratitude of times when I’ve been guided by others, and of those who’ve helped me.

I ponder Jesus looking upon me with love, noticing the course of my life.

I speak to him from my heart about any feelings or emotions that arise, and listen carefully to what he might be saying to me.

When ready, I end my prayer with a slow, prayerful sign of the cross, thanking Jesus for this time together.


Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on today's Gospel from the Jesuit Post

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...