Saturday 24 July 2021

So that nothing gets wasted

 Seventeenth Sunday of Ordinary Time Year B - 25th July 2021


Gospel Mark 4: 35–41


Looking up, Jesus saw the crowds approaching and said to Philip, ‘Where can we buy some bread for these people to eat?’.... Philip answered, ‘Two hundred denarii would only buy enough to give them a small piece each.’ One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said, ‘There is a small boy here with five barley loaves and two fish; but what is that between so many?’ Jesus said to them, ‘Make the people sit down.’....

Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and gave them out to all who were sitting ready; he then did the same with the fish, giving out as much as was wanted. When they had eaten enough, he said to the disciples, ‘Pick up the pieces left over, so that nothing gets wasted.’ So they picked them up, and filled twelve hampers with scraps left over from the meal of five barley loaves. The people, seeing this sign that he had given, said, ‘This really is the prophet who is to come into the world.’ Jesus, who could see they were about to come and take him by force and make him king, escaped back to the hills by himself.

freebibleimages.org


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


In this familiar gospel Jesus gives thanks. So I, too, pause to give thanks for what the Lord has done, is doing, and will do for me.

I stay with my breathing for a few moments. I read, pause and wait ...

I might like to pray imaginatively, entering the scene. Or I could allow certain words and phrases to speak to me. Is anything drawing me now ...? Perhaps those first two words? Jesus ‘looked up’: he noticed.

In what direction are my own eyes turned? Do I see the needs of others?

Is the smallness of the boy and the scarcity of his offering saying something to me about my own apparent limitedness? I ponder what the Lord might be able do with the gift I offer, however small.

What about the crowd ‘sitting ready’? Am I ready to receive what the Lord wants to give me?

Jesus tells the disciples to ensure that nothing is wasted. What is this saying to me? I gaze at the twelve hampers, perhaps wondering at Jesus’s abundant provision. His offerings of love, care and grace are never scarce. From such gifts received, what can I share with others?

I rest in God’s love for me, ending my prayer slowly: Our Father ...


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...