Saturday 12 June 2021

What the Kingdom of God is like

 Eleventh Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B - 13th June 2021


Gospel Mark 4: 26–34

Jesus said:

‘This is what the Kingdom of God is like. A man throws seed on the land. Night and day while he sleeps, when he is awake, the seed is sprouting and growing; how, he does not know. Of its own accord the land produces first the shoot, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear. And when the crop is ready, he loses no time: he starts to reap because the harvest has come.’

He also said, ‘What can we say the Kingdom of God is like? What parable can we find for it? It is like the mustard seed which at the time of its sowing in the soil is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet once it is sown it grows into the biggest shrub of them all and puts out big branches so that the birds of the air can shelter in its shade.’

Using many parables like these, he spoke the word to them, so far as they were capable of understanding it. He would not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything to his disciples when they were alone.



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


After settling myself into a calm prayerful state of mind and body, I read this Gospel passage with love and care.

Taking each parable at a time, I let the images and the messages they convey bring light and truth to the concerns of my life and to the expression of my faith.

Where do I see the Kingdom of God slowly but steadily growing in the world today?

What is my relationship with the Kingdom of God?

Jesus mostly used images of the natural world to explain deep truths about the Kingdom. I ponder what this means for my relationship with God, with the environment, with my fellow creatures and the people around me.

I share my pondering and deepest longings for the world and for God’s Kingdom with Jesus as I would with a beloved friend.

When I am ready, I close my prayer by saying ‘Glory be to the Father...’


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...