Sunday 9 May 2021

I call you friends

 Sixth Sunday of Easter Year B - 9th May 2021


Gospel John 15: 9–17

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my own joy may be in you and your joy be complete.

This is my commandment: love one another, as I have loved you. No-one can have greater love than to lay down their life for their friends.

You are my friends, if you do what I command you. I shall not call you servants any more, because a servant does not know their master’s business; I call you friends, because I have made known to you everything I have learnt from my Father.

You did not choose me: no, I chose you; and I commissioned you to go out and to bear fruit, fruit that will last; and then the Father will give you anything you ask him in my name.

What I command you is to love one another.’



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


How am I coming to this time of prayer? What is my mood like today? Sad, heavy, burdened? Joyful, light, hopeful? I take my time to move gently into prayer, aware of how I am feeling.

I read the Gospel slowly two or three times. There is no rush. Perhaps these words will help me to identify the grace I am seeking at this time.

If helpful, I could place myself in the scene, around the table of the Last Supper. Jesus is speaking directly to me, telling me of his love for me, how he has chosen me for friendship and for commissioning.

How does it feel to be called and chosen?

Union with Jesus leads to fruitful service and John is basically saying that love is a verb, not a noun. Love cannot exist apart from action and we see love most fully in the actions of Jesus.

How have I been loved in life ... ? What comes to mind and how does that make me want to respond?

How does the reality of God’s unconditional love help me to love even more?

I remain in God’s love for me and end my prayer slowly: Our Father ...




Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...