Saturday 14 November 2020

Well done, good and faithful servant!

 Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A - 15th November 2020


Gospel Matthew 25: 14–21 (abridged)

Jesus spoke this parable to his disciples: ‘The kingdom of heaven is like a man on his way abroad who summoned his servants and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to a third, one; each in proportion to their ability. Then he set out.

‘The one who had received the five talents promptly went and traded with them and made five more. The one who had received two made two more in the same way. But the servant who had received one went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money.

‘Now a long time after, the master of those servants came back and went through his accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came forward bringing five more, saying. “Sir, you entrusted me with five talents; here are five more that I have made.” The master replied, “Well done, good and faithful servant; you have shown you can be faithful in small things, I will trust you with greater; come and join in your master’s happiness.”’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


After coming to some inner quiet in the way that works best for me, I read the shortened version of this well known parable several times. I may want to read the full version in my missal or bible at a later time.

What strikes me as I read the text? Perhaps there’s a phrase I haven’t ‘heard’ before? I stay with it for a few moments ...

I may want to consider my own ‘talents’. I notice that everyone has been given at least one talent. Can I name mine?

What have I done with my talents? ... What do I do with them? ... What will I do?

In what ways have others been affected as I use them? I ponder, and tell the Lord how I feel.
I listen to the Lord calling me his good and faithful servant, giving me his trust, and inviting me to share in his happiness.

How do I want to respond? With gratitude, disbelief, yearning ...?
In time, I slowly conclude my prayer: Glory be to the Father ...



No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...