Friday 25 March 2022

He was lost and is found

 Fourth Sunday in Lent Year C - 27th March 2022


Gospel Luke 15: 11–24 (abridged)

Jesus said, ‘A man had two sons. The younger said to his father, “Father, let me have the share of the estate that would come to me”.

So the father divided the property between them. A few days later, the younger son got together everything he had and left for a distant country where he squandered his money on a life of debauchery. When he had spent it all, that country experienced a severe famine, and now he began to feel the pinch, so he hired himself out to one of the local inhabitants who put him on his farm to feed the pigs. And he would willingly have filled his belly with the husks the pigs were eating but no one offered him anything. Then he came to his senses and said, “How many of my father’s paid servants have more food than they want, and here am I dying of hunger! I will leave this place and go to my father and say: ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as one of your paid servants.’”

So he left the place and went back to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was moved with pity. He ran to the boy, clasped him in his arms and kissed him tenderly. Then his son said, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son.” But the father said to his servants, “Quick! Bring out the best robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the calf we have been fattening, and kill it; we are going to have a feast, a celebration, because this son of mine was dead and has come back to life; he was lost and is found.” And they began to celebrate.’

Rembrandt: The Return of the Prodigal Son


Gospel  Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I settle to pray, I ask the Holy Spirit for the grace to hear and understand anew God’s message for me.

Perhaps I hear Jesus himself telling me this story, and I identify with the younger son. In my imagination, I notice how it feels to swallow my pride and face up to the foolish way I have behaved. Do I dare believe that my father could welcome me back after everything I’ve done?

How do I express my sorrow and ask for his forgiveness?

Maybe then I am able to put myself in the father’s place. Overwhelmed with joy, knowing that my prayers have been answered, how do I find the words to tell this beloved one of mine how much I love him? How does it feel as I show him that whatever has been done is done, and is left behind?

Leaving the two of them together, I turn to look again at Jesus, my friend, and I share with him what I need and desire from the depths of my heart.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...